Welcome to 25 days of DAX Fridays! Challenge, where one DAX puzzle will be available every day for you to solve from the first of December to the 25th of December.
Table of contents
- About this challenge (video explainer)
- The basics
- The DAX Advent Calendar
- How to participate
- Download the dataset and docs
- Track my progress
- See all responses
About this challenge
Watch the video to learn how to participate or keep reading!
How it works
Come back every day and a new question will be available for you in the file embed below (The DAX Advent Calendar).
You have 24 hours to solve the question. A new question will show at the same time the solution video is out, which is 2pm GMT+1 (Sweden’s Timezone).
The DAX Advent Calendar
IMPORTANT! Remember to refresh the dataset to be able to match my answer. Due to timezone differences +-1 results will be accepted.
How to participate:
Make sure you read the instructions so you dont have any problem participating.
- Download MY version of the Northwind dataset here if you want to compare the results and be able to answer all questions. (I modified the original one to add in some business questions and do some time intelligence.)
- Make sure you refresh the dataset daily and compare the results with mine the same day.
- Bonus points if you get the right result on card as I had to 😉
- Tweet or post on Linkedin the solution (not the DAX) with hashtag #25DaysOfDAXFridays and #curbal or post in the video comments.
- You can use Power BI or Excel, both are fine.
- IMPORTANT! When you share the answer on Linkedin or Twitter, please do not share the DAX code, so others can have a chance to participate too. You will be able to share the code on the solution video and I truly encourage you to do so, so we can learn from each other. Good luck!
- If you don’t manage to solve the challenge, the Power BI solution page will have a link to a video explaining how to calculate it.
- The level of difficulty will vary, although I have tried to make the questions in such way that you will be able to solve them with easy or elegant DAX.
- It is never too late to start the challenge, just do it!
- Have fun!
Download my version of Northwind
I have modified the Northwind dataset slightly to be able to do some of the calculations, so please use this file for the challenge.
If this is your first time using Northwind dataset, here is some documentation to get you started.
Track my progress
You asked me to create a form to track your progress (thanks Mattias!) and also see how other’s respond, so you can do it now in the form below.
If you want to track your own progress, give yourself a user name so you will see your scores every day.
IMPORTANT! Please check first that your username is not already taken in the answers report here. Duplicate names will be deduped randomly.
See how others answered it
You can now follow how people answer below (updates every 30 minutes). The leaderboard will update after the solution is published on YouTube.