Welcome to 25 days of DAX Fridays! Challenge, where one DAX puzzle will be available every day for you to solve from Monday to Friday for 25 days.
If you are new to DAX I recommend you to start with the first edition of the challenge. If you are a more seasoned DAXer, this challenge will be perfect for you!
Table of contents
- About this challenge (video explainer)
- The basics
- ❓ NEW QUESTIONS HERE!
- How to participate
- How to share your answer if you crack it
- How to get help if you are stuck
- Download the dataset and docs
- Leaderboard: Submit your answer
- 📝 ENTER YOUR ANSWERS HERE!
- See all responses
- Official responses
About this challenge
Watch the video to learn how to participate or keep reading!
How it works
Come back every day (Monday to Friday) and a new question will be available for you (2pm GMT+2) in the file embedded below (The DAX Fridays! World Cup Challenge).
If you want to participate in the challenge, you have 24 hours to solve the question and submit your answer before a new question will be available. Answers recorded after the 24 hrs period will be tracked and recorded, but will not count as points for the challenge. Due to timezone differences +-1 results will be accepted.
The DAX Fridays! World Cup Challenge
IMPORTANT! The dataset might change while we do this challenge, so make sure you connect live to it and refresh it, I am doing the same.
How to participate:
Make sure you read the instructions so you don’t have any problem participating:
This time, I will not provide you with a Power BI file with the model and the data, you need to build it yourself.
IMPORTANT: In case the source changes, I have connected live to the source (tutorial here) and my calculations are done dynamically. You might want to do the same 🙂
The source is historical data about the World Cup championships:
- The data is available on GitHub here.
- The dataset was created by © 2022 Joshua C. Fjelstul, Ph.D. and no modifications has been done to it. It has been published under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, please respect that if you are planning to reuse it in any way.
The tools to use
You can use Power BI, Excel or any other tool that you prefer to write DAX in.
I just found out about to the challenge, is it too late?
It is never too late to start the challenge and you will learn a lot, but only players that started the challenge on time will be raised to the hall of DAX fame.
You cracked it? Share your answer online!
Tweet or post on LinkedIn the answer (not the DAX) with hashtag #25DaysOfDAXFridays and @curbalEN.
I need help, I am stuck!
This time around, I will post the solution video once a week (every Friday), so if you need help sooner, I have created a Curbal reddit community where you can ask for help if you get stuck, so, if you have a question on DAY 1, look for the reddit post for DAY 1 and ask there.
Si quieres preguntar en espanol, accede a esta coleccion.
All DAX challenge posts will be added to a collection. You can follow it to go directly to it:
Post your DAX code ONLY on reddit (r/curbal) or/and the solution form below, so others have a chance to participate and to avoid getting your post flagged as spam (code is usually not permitted on social media posts).
Bernat Agullo will help me moderate and support you during the challenge. Please understand that our time is limited so we are hoping you will be able to support each other too.
You will be able to track your progress with this challenge too. Once you have the answer, just enter it in the google form below, but before that check the following rules:
To track your answers or if you are team doing the challenge, give yourself or your team a username (make it long and unique) and enter your solution every day within 24hrs of the first posting to have your results tracked.
IMPORTANT! Please check first that your username or your team name is not already taken in the results report here. Duplicate names will be deduped randomly.
IMPORTANT! Follow the rules below to enter the answers in the right format!
Sort the answers properly to get the result correct:
- Country/ Team: sort alphabetically by country (A-Z)
- Player: sort alphabetically (A_Z) on the Given Name
- Match: sort alphabetically by match (A-Z)
- Number: sort ascending
This is the format you need to use to enter your answers:
- If the question ask for a country/s, enter the country names separated by comma: Country, Country
- If the question ask for year/s, enter it like this: x years, x years
- If the question ask for goal/s, enter it like this: x goals, x goals
- If the question ask for a player/s, enter the player Given Name and Family Name separated by comma: GivenName FamilyName, GivenName FamilyName
- If the question ask for a Tournament/s, enter it like this: 19xx FIFA World Cup, 20xx FIFA World Cup
- If the question ask for a match/s, enter the matches separated by comma: Team v Team, Team v Team
Leaderboard Form: Enter your answers
See how others answered it and the leaderboards
You can now follow how people answer below (updates every 1 hour). The leaderboard will update once a day.
All solution videos
A new solution video will be created each Friday, for those that want to take the challenge at a slower pace.